In 1833, Robert N. Thornton (1806-1875), a Secessionist Minister (United Presbyterian) arrived as a missionary from Scotland. Within four years of Thornton's arrival in the township, land was purchased and the first church erected. Most pioneer churches were built on one acre, "God's Acre", enough for a church and a burying ground. This church however had 19 acres. These 19 acres comprise what is now the south-west corner of Union Cemetery at Thornton Road North and King Street West in Oshawa.
Many of the area's pioneers and their children are buried in "Thornton's Burying Ground".
From these pioneer beginnings Oshawa Union Cemetery has grown to an active facility of 30 acres in size (12 hectares), with over 25,000 burial locations.
- By-law of Oshawa Union Cemetery
- Union Cemetery Map
- Map to Union Cemetery
- Oshawa Historical Society
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
|Location:||Oshawa Union Cemetery
760 King Street West,Oshawa, Ontario L1J 2L3