Building Inspection Services
What services are provided?
Inspections are carried out for all types of building construction, building systems and their components to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code, and applicable by-laws and regulations, and to advise on aspects of compliance and compliance solutions.
What prompts a building inspection?
A building inspection is required when:
- A report of a Building Code violation such as building without a permit is received;
- An application for a building permit requires further investigation;
- Building damage requires assessment; (fire / wind / vehicle / weather )
- A building is reported unsafe; or
- A building permit is issued.
What happens after a building permit is issued?
The owner or his authorized agent shall notify the Chief Building Official as soon as possible in advance of:
- The commencement of construction or demolition.
- The readiness to construct the footings.
- The substantial completion of footings and foundations.
- The substantial completion of structural framing.
- The substantial completion of insulation and vapour barriers.
- The substantial completion of roughing-in of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning and air-contamination extraction equipment.
- The commencement of construction or installation of:
- masonry fireplaces and chimneys;
- factory built fireplaces using solid fuel and allied chimneys; and
- solid fuel burning appliances (wood stoves) and allied chimneys.
- The substantial completion of interior fire separations and fire protection systems (standpipe, sprinkler, fire alarm, emergency lighting systems).
- The substantial completion of fire access routes.
- The substantial completion of interior finishes.
- The substantial completion of all construction, prior to occupancy.
- For plumbing and drainage work, the substantial completion of:
- sewage systems,
- outside water, sanitary and storm sewer connections;
- interior underground drains;
- rough-in of drain waste vents and water pipes; and
- finalizing plumbing systems.
How do I arrange for an inspection?
Call 905-436-5658 and ask for the Building Inspector by name or enter the extension number of the Inspector you are trying to reach. At any time a voicemail message may be left by telephone or an email message sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your message within 24 hours. We have extended hours for building inspections. Inspection appointments can be arranged between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday to Thursday inclusive.
|Location:||1st Floor, Rundle Tower, City Hall
50 Centre Street South, Oshawa, Ontario, L1H 3Z7