In order to qualify for a lottery licence in the Province of Ontario an organization must have charitable objectives and purposes that fall within the following classifications:
- The relief of poverty
- The advancement of education
- The advancement of religion
- Other charitable purposes beneficial to the community not listed above
Further they must demonstrate that they have carried out charitable activities for a minimum of one (1) year providing a direct benefit to Ontario residents which are consistent with their mandate.
City of Oshawa Lottery By-Law 135-2008 requires that organizations wishing to conduct or manage a lottery event in the City of Oshawa must provide services directly to a significant number of City residents.
The first step in licensing is for the municipality to determine if the organization is eligible for a lottery licence by reviewing documents specified in the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario Lottery Licensing Policy Manual. Please allow 45 days for the completion of an eligibility file.
Once it has been determined an organization is eligible for licensing they will be required to submit an application for the lottery event they wish to conduct. Please allow 15 calendar days for a lottery licence to be processed.
Lottery licence applications and information may be obtained at the business licensing counter (see contact information below) Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Types of organizations which are not considered charitable by the Province of Ontario for lottery licensing include but are not limited to the following:
- Social clubs
- Professional associations, unions, employee groups;
- Elected representative groups including municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments
- Government ministries, agents or bodies
- Political lobby groups
- Political parties
- Adult hobby groups;
- Private sports clubs (e.g., golf, curling)
- Adult sports teams.
- More lottery information from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario
1st Floor, West Wing, City Hall
50 Centre Street South, Oshawa, Ontario, L1H 3Z7