Doors Open Ontario is a province-wide celebration that provides a unique opportunity to explore and enjoy sometimes hidden and always interesting places and spaces in cities across Ontario - all free of charge!
Doors Open Oshawa is an annual event where you can explore different heritage and cultural sites in Oshawa. Spend a day discovering local history first-hand and celebrate our community heritage.
Doors Open Oshawa 2016 will take place on Saturday, October 1, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The theme is Medical Science and Innovation.
Sites for 2016
- Oshawa City Hall, 50 Centre Street South: Visit the Council Chamber! Art in the Square will run 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. with interactive art activities for all ages.
- The Robert McLaughlin Gallery, 72 Queen Street: Hands-on activities with local artists.
- Cowan House, 39 Athol Street West: Built in 1858.
- St. George's Memorial Church, 51 Centre Street South: Designed by Eden Smith.
- Simcoe Street United Church, 66 Simcoe Street South: Built in 1867.
- The Living Room Community Art Studio, 149 Simcoe Street South: Participate in the "Make your Mark" Community Art project.
- Islamic Centre of Oshawa, 23 Lloyd Street : Discover a mosque.
- Canadian Automotive Museum, 99 Simcoe Street South: See vehicles from 1902 to 1988.
- Regent Theatre, 50 King Street East: Restored interior!
- U.O.I.T., 61 Charles Street: Formerly Alger Press Ltd.
- Oshawa Sports Hall of Fame, General Motors Centre, 99 Athol Street East: Hundreds of artifacts from Oshawa's sporting history.
- New! Pine Ridge Model Train Club, 32 Wilson Road North: Discover a miniature world.
- Simcoe Hall Settlement House, 387 Simcoe Street South: Archival photos.
- Henry House, Oshawa Museum, 1450 Simcoe Street South: Medical artifact collection will be highlighted.
- Camp X-Intrepid Park, Boundary Road, tours at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.: Tour the site of a spy training camp.
- Ontario Regiment Museum, 1000 Stevenson Road North, Oshawa Airport South Field: Celebrating 150 years.
- Oshawa Executive Airport, 1200 Airport Boulevard: Annual Open House
- New! Lakeridge Health Oshawa, LHEARN Centre, 1 Hospital Court: Participate in hands-on simulations.
- New! Science & Spectacle; a walking tour through Alexandra Park and surrounding neighbourhood. Tours every 30 minutes from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Explore the neighbourhood! Facebook: Heritage by Foot, Twitter @heritagebyfoot
All downtown sites have street parking, which is free on Saturday. Many sites have parking lots. Free parking will be available for Sites 18 & 19 at the North Garage on Hospital Court.
For information about how to volunteer for Doors Open Oshawa 2016, please view our Recreation and Events page or email the Events Coordinator.
Photo Gallery: Doors Open Oshawa will appear here on the public site.