270 Simcoe Street North
Friday August 14, 2015
6:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Create memories with family and friends! Taking place in the heart of Oshawa at Parkwood Estate, this brand new, free and family friendly event features a D.J. disco dance party, glow art, children's crafts and activities, interactive art activities, and art installations presented by the local arts community. Once the suns goes down, marvel over the beauty of the historic Parkwood Estate and gardens all aglow.
South Lawn - 6:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Professor Glow and his team will wow you with wacky glow experiments and activities that will amaze and educate you.
- Amazing performances by Aspire Acrobatics at:
- 7:10 p.m., 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- Visit with some friendly woodland animals.
- Party Like it's 1879! with the Oshawa Community Museum as they celebrate the '70s, Victorian Style! Take a picture at their photo booth, dressed in Victorian finest! Their 'glow' will come courtesy of lamplight, just like it would have in the 1870s. Visitors can explore how Victorians got their "glow on" with early lighting artifacts.
- Join the Robert McLaughlin Gallery to make your own disco-inspired party wear! Create glow in the dark bracelets so you can boogie the night away at the Woodland Disco in style.
- You'll have tons of fun with the Oshawa Community Health Centre playing glow in the dark ring toss or getting an awesome temporary tattoo.
- Get your creative juices flowing, head over to The LivingRoom Community Art Studio's Woodland Whimsy Weaving and help them create a magical world amidst the trees at Parkwood. Fairy light wrapped tree trunks will become a giant loom to weave a pop up art tent where everyone can relax and make their very own art weaving to take home. All ages and abilities are welcome.
- Challenge your friends to a round of laser tag in the laser tag dome.
- Get your face glow painted with our fabulous artists before you hit the disco.
- Hula hooping fun will help you get into the groove from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Heritage displays.
- Magical night lit garden tours. (meet at the Gift Shop for tours)
- Entertaining spaces experience in the Mansion ($5.00 per person).
- Croquet in the sunken garden beside the Arbour turning into glow in the dark when the sun goes down.
Woodland Glow Art - GloPaint Battle
Arbour: 8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Watch while artists create works of art with glowing results right in front of your eyes. There will be 3 rounds of 6 artists each painting live on black canvas under black lights. Two artists will be chosen by you to battle for your votes in the final round where you will decide the best two artists. Who will be the last artist standing at Oshawa Art Association's GloPaint Battle? You decide!
- A Silent Auction will be held at the end of the battle.
Woodland Disco, Light Show and Dance Performances
Fountain Garden: 6:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- D.J. and Light Show
- 6:30 p.m., 7:40 p.m., 9:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m.
- Mayor's Official Welcome
- Talented performances by Extensions Dance Company
- 7:10 p.m., 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- The Studio 54 restaurant (also known as the Tea Garden Cafe) will be selling light fare for the evening such as sandwiches and salads.
- There will be a hot dog kart and ice cream novelties available for purchase on the South Lawn.
- Free parking is available at O'Neill Collegiate and Vocational Institute, access to this lot is from Mary Street North just north of Adelaide Street. Parking for a fee is available at Lakeridge Health Hospital parking. On street parking is available where permitted. Public parking not available on site.
- Limited accessible parking on site.
- Pet owners are encouraged to leave animals at home.
- For information regarding bus routes and schedules to Parkwood, please visit Durham Transit.
Thank-you to our contributors: