Canadian Automotive Museum
The Canadian Automotive Museum is Canada's only museum dedicated to preserving and sharing the history of Canada's automotive industry. Tour the museum to see their world-class, one-of-a-kind collection of Canadian and internationally made automobiles, trucks, and motorcycles, and to learn about the history and evolution of the automotive industry from 1898 to the present.
For more information, visit the Canadian Automotive Museum website.
About the Canadian Automotive Museum
The Canadian Automotive Museum was established in 1962 as a community project of the Oshawa Chamber of Commerce to promote the history of the automotive industry and to promote tourism in the area. At that time, a number of prominent Oshawa residents made financial contributions or provided interest-free loans to acquire a former car dealership on Simcoe Street. It was converted into a facility where antique automobiles and related artifacts could be displayed. The Canadian Automotive Museum opened in 1963 and was incorporated in October 1964 as a charitable, non-profit institution and was operated by the Chamber of Commerce for a number of years. In 1972 the museum became an independent entity operated by a Board of Directors.
The Canadian Automotive Museum has grown in the size of the collection and in the scope of the artifacts displayed. Motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, pianos, washing machines, etc., make up the collection today.
Of course, the automobile is the backbone of the collection. Currently, approximately 65 vehicles dating from 1898 to 1981 are on display.
Through marquees such as Brooks Steam, Redpath, Tudhope, McKay, Galt Gas-Electric, Gray-Dort, Brockville Atlas, C.C.M., as well as many more Canadian-made vehicles, the museum showcases the impact the Canadian auto industry has had throughout the years.
The museum also features vehicles from many other countries such as Rolls Royce, Morris, Amphicar, Ahrens-Fox, Reo, etc. Many, if not all of these, while not made in Canada, have certainly contributed to the development of the auto in Canada.
The 25,000 sq. ft. building in Oshawa was originally a 1920s car dealership and is maintained to display that period of architecture right down to the original elevator used to move cars to the second floor.
For more information, including hours of operation, visit the Canadian Automotive Museum website.
|Location:||Canadian Automotive Museum
99 Simcoe Street South
Oshawa, Ontario L1G 4G7