Who We Are
Heritage Oshawa is the Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee for the City of Oshawa. The Committee consists of one Council member and seven volunteer members from the community appointed by Council. Heritage Oshawa reports to Council through the Development Services Standing Committee and the Committee’s operation is governed by the Advisory Committee of Council Policy and Procedure. Staff support is provided to the Committee primarily through the roles of the Advisory Committee Coordinator and the Policy Advisor.
What We Do
Oshawa's cultural heritage resources make a significant contribution to the unique character of the city, reflecting its history and the cultural diversity of its residents. Heritage is the common ground that sustains our communities in times of change.
Working within the guidelines of the Ontario Heritage Act and the Oshawa Official Plan, Heritage Oshawa advises and assists Council on all matters relating to the conservation, education and promotion of the City’s cultural heritage resources.
Cultural heritage resources can include structures, streetscapes, landscapes, natural areas, cemeteries and burial places as well as archaeological sites.
Heritage Oshawa’s role is to foster an appreciation of, and encourage responsible stewardship of, Oshawa's architectural and historical assets.
- Compiling and updating the Heritage Oshawa Inventory of architecturally and/or historically significant properties;
- Conducting research on Oshawa's heritage properties;
- Preparing designation reports for Council's consideration;
- Nominating heritage properties to the City of Oshawa Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest;
- Documenting threatened sites;
- Reviewing and commenting on applications for demolition permit and/or development;
- Assisting heritage property owners with information about renovations and current conservation programs; and
- Promoting education and awareness about the City’s cultural heritage resources and heritage conservation issues through displays, workshops/seminars and participation in special events.
Members of the Heritage Oshawa committee are concerned about the disappearance of Oshawa's tangible past. The Committee hopes to raise awareness of the broad architectural, cultural, social, political, economic and military patterns of our history by retaining, or adapting and reusing, in a meaningful and sympathetic way, Oshawa's cultural heritage resources. Heritage Oshawa works towards a harmonious blend of old and new that speaks of the pride our community has in its past.
Heritage Property Tax Reduction Program
The Council of the City of Oshawa approved the implementation of a Heritage Property Tax Reduction Program effective January 1, 2011 (By-law 106-2011). The City of Oshawa has set the amount of the annual tax reduction at forty percent (40%) of the City and School portions of the taxes payable on the eligible heritage property.
Please contact us if:
- You are concerned about a heritage resource;
- You would like the Committee to consider a property for heritage designation;
- You would like a guest speaker for your group;
- You wish to share heritage information about Oshawa; and/or
- You have questions or comments about Heritage Oshawa.
Development Services Department
|Location:||8th Floor, Rundle Tower, City Hall
50 Centre Street South
Oshawa, Ontario L1H 3Z7
905-436-3311 ext 2945